The scissor lift has come as a great solution to accessing heights though with its drawbacks. It has therefore been regulated by various the occupational safety act to ascertain safety on the use of the lifts. The scissor lift certification is therefore a requirement by the regulatory bodies before any employee can start working with the lifts.
Basic understanding of the lifts is key to proper safety hence certification is aimed at ensuring good knowledge on handling and maintenance of the lifts. The employer should invest in training the workers because, besides compliance with occupational safety, it will also ascertain low cost on maintenance.
The workers are also entitled to rights to ensure their working environment is safe and they also feel confident handling the lifts. The worker has a right to know the listed occupational injuries as listed by OSHA Act. They also have the right to getting the workplace inspection certificate for health hazards. This will help in lowering the risk at the workplace.
It is the duty of the owner to ensure compliance with occupational health hazards protection. This will provide a safe working environment for the workers. The guidelines are published to ascertain easy accessibility for proper guidance.
In cases where workplace risk is inevitable, then the employees should be provided with protective gear as a requirement by the occupational safety act. This will reduce their risk exposure at work.
Scissor lift types
- Hydraulic lifts are powered by a fluid compressor.
- Electric powered lifts that are silent and useful indoors.
- Rough terrain lifts that have large tires for rugged terrain work.
- Pneumatic lifts powered by air.
- Diesel lifts that are suitable for use in outdoor activities.
- Proper operation of the lifts.
- Inspection of the lift for functionality.
- Environmental inspection for possible health risks.
- Lift control system.
- How to operate on sloppy grounds.
- Fall prevention at work.
- Proper positioning.
- Manufacturer guide use.
Where to use the lift
The lifts can be used in various activities such as;
- In the construction site to access the heights, as a ladder for the workers or ferrying the building materials.
- In transport, it’s used in offloading or packaging heavy goods.
- In production in the industries, it is useful in moving the goods.
- In the warehouses and stores, it’s useful in storage especially the high shelves.
- Maintenance such as reaching high ceilings like those in industries.
Most injuries documented in the scissor lift use have been linked to falling, lift stability, and the position. This has hence probed the need for certification of all users to ascertain safety and minimize such available risks. It is therefore the responsibility of all the employers to ascertain all their workers are well trained in line with the OSHA guidelines.
Scissor Lift Certification :- https://www.scissorliftacademy.com